Customer Favorites

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Make a Beaded Chandelier by Heather

Lately, at my house, everything is turned topsy turvy ~ and upside down...
I've had the terrific idea of making my sitting room, the dining room ~ and making the very small dining room into a cozy sitting room.
My dining room was always way too small to have more than 3 people at the table; however, my living room was nicely decorated but never used and 4 feet wider than the dining room ~ so, BING, I get this idea ~

I was lucky enough to know an electrician who put up a chandelier for me in my "NEW DINING ROOM" ~ now it's paint colors I'm choosing and boy do I love the colors I can choose from ~

But now, there's that pesky hole in the ceiling where the old chandelier use to be and I was checking on line for some ideas ~ and here's this terrific one for indoor or even out!


This is her story: "For months I had been trying to find a good base for a chandelier at the dollar store, and it wasn't until my three year-old son called the wire baskets a "chandelier" that it clicked."
"A few months ago, Dollar Tree started selling their seasonal gardening stuff, including hanging wire baskets (and yes, they were only a dollar!)"




Hanging wire basket, $1
6 packages of Mardi Gras-style metallic beads (about 48 necklaces), $6
Light gauge wire (floral wire will work), $1
Spray paint, $1
Wire cutters, on hand or $1
Hot glue gun & sticks, on hand
Additional embellishments, as desired


Total: $9 and up


"Attaching the bead necklaces together: As you wire your chandelier, you will hot glue one end of the necklace to the end of the next necklace. I recommend doing this as you go to keep everything nice and neat (and untangled). Remember to be careful when handling the hot glue!"

Wiring the bottom of the chandelier:

"Take your first necklace, and a piece of wire. Wrap the wire securely around the thread between the first two beads and twist around once or twice to make sure the wire won't come apart from the necklace. Then wire the necklace to the top of the wire basket form. Wrap the wire around the basket securely, and twist at least twice to make sure it's secure. Leave the end of the wire long for now."




As an aside, Heather does suggest that you spray paint your necklaces first to get an even coverage...
For me, I think I would still try after, because, knowing how I work, I would end up scratching off the coverage.

Again, the ENTIRE tutorial is located at this link at the Dollar Store Crafts website.




"Of course, these baskets are great bases for any kind of chandelier you can imagine! You might have a little trouble finding them at your dollar store now (they sell out quickly), but you can get them for about $5 at your local big-box store. I know that's not as great a price as $1, but it's still pretty cheap for a great chandelier base. The dollar store also has wire baskets that will work decently for chandelier bases. Try those and let me know how they work out for you!"


This was such a terrific idea ~ and I'm going to try one out and use it outside with some small votive candles!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your thoughts!
Great to hear from you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails